Stewed apples have been shown to help improve gut health.
- 6 Bramley cooking apples (or apples of choice preferably grown organically)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raisins/sultanas
- 2 tsp cinnamon
1. Peel and core the apples and chop them into small pieces.
2. Put all the ingredients in a covered, heavy-bottomed pan and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Cook until soft with rough shapes, no longer identifiable as apple slices.
4. The colour should be a russet brown with the cinnamon effect.
5. These may be eaten warm, or cold.
Notes: Store in small glass containers or ramekins for up to three days.
Allergy advice: raisins and sultanas may contain sulphites, people with asthma have a higher risk of developing a reaction to sulphites.