- For the soup:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 700g chopped butternut squash and sweet potato (you can buy in bags, ready-chopped)
- 500 ml fresh chicken or water, or a combination of both
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the nut topping:
- A pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Shelled walnut halves (10 per person), you can also use toasted pumpkin seeds if liked
- Fresh coriander (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan and sweat the chopped onion and garlic until soft and slightly transparent.
2. Add the butternut squash and sweet potato and sweat until soft.
3. Add the stock/water and simmer on a low heat for 20 mins, partially covered with a lid, until the squash and sweet potato are soft and break up easily when prodded with a fork.
4. Meanwhile, dry-fry the walnuts, sprinkled with a pinch each of dried chilli flakes and sea salt, until the nuts are warm and fragrant.
5. Blitz the soup in a blender, then add the salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Sprinkle the nuts over the soup before serving. Decorate with coriander leaves if liked.
Source: Hyde J (2016) The gut makeover: 4 weeks to nourish your gut, revolutionise your health and lose weight.
United Kingdom: Quercus Publishing.
Allergy advice: contains nuts (if walnuts used).